Monday, October 18, 2010

The Sims in a Different Light- The Sims Medieval (2011)

About a month ago I came upon this gem when I was searching for something else Sims related. I know I have been on my off game about keeping up to date with my lovely Sims, but not videogames themselves. For some reason, this had slid under my radar. Thankfully, a special someone told me that it was recently announced in August. So, it's not like last years news and I am just now finding out about it. To kick off the announcement of the newest Sims addition, EA Games, in Redwood City, CA had a Medieval Press day, with a jousting tournament and all. What a fun way to promote a game.

From information I had gathered from several websites, this game will not be your normal Sims played game. You will have your NPC's (non-player character) and the ones you can control. We will still be able to customize our Sims or should I say Hero or Heroine. Yup, that's what they are gonna be...why? Well, the purpose of this game is to build a Kingdom from the ground up. It is your job to quest to gain points to be able to buy additions to create your Kingdom to meet it's aspirations. Ahh, something familiar, aspirations. Now, just because you're building a kingdom, it doesn't make you King or Queen. Remember, you're the hero.


Another thing about this game that I find fascinating is we get to fight! Yes, we get to do our own fighting and not just sit there and watch two Sims tumble around in a cloud of dust. It's not real time fighting like in RPG's or MMO's, but according to PCgamer.com, we get to choose a set of attacks. Hey, it's better than nothing. You still get to equip a sword and swing it.


Just because there are quests in the game doesn't mean you still aren't free to do what you want. Players will still be able to create their soap operas, have tons of babies, etc. Of course this comes with repercussions. If you fail to complete your tasks, you'll be sent to this place called the stock. Here, towns people are able to throw tomatoes at you. If you become a frequent flyer of the stocks, it's gonna be a slow march to your execution. How cool is that?

What is a Sims game without players being able to create custom content for their game? Well, to carry on the age old tradition, players will be able to do just that. The only catch is, we can't change the structure of the buildings. What? I know....I myself enjoy building houses for my Simmies to live in. This was kind of a sad let down, but there's reasons for it, I am sure.

Even though little information is released about this via EA Games website and The Sims Medieval official website, I think I gathered enough of an idea of how this game will be. I certainly cannot wait for the more interactive feel of this. As more information comes out about The Sims Medieval, I will be sure to post about it.



Reference Links:
PCGamer
Kotaku
EA Games Medieval article
The Sims Medieval Official Website
EA Games Medieval Event Photos

No comments:

Post a Comment